"Privilege does not have to be negative, but we have to share our resources and take direction about how to use our privilege in ways that empower those who lack it." - bell hooks
We at UCC are constantly trying to find ways to share our privilege and we will have opportunities to do that in the next three months. Whether we share with our own community as our children and families will be doing by baking bread this Sunday or whether we share with the wider community as our youth will be doing this Saturday at the CrysalisQ Playdate, we are a community with a heart for making lives better through love.
Here are some ways you can share:
1) In September and October, we will collect items to go into Church World Service Hygiene kits. These kits go to those who are dealing with disasters or are in a refugee situation. Right now, many are going to the areas of the United States like Kentucky who have experienced unprecedented flooding. Some go to ministries on the border of Texas and Mexico. Here is what we will be collecting:
Service for distribution.
2) During our Community Building sermon series, we will have a blessing of the prayer shawls. If you have a prayer shawl you are working on (even if it is partially finished), bring it to church that Sunday to be blessed.
3) In October and early November, we are collecting canned goods for the Bethany Faith Food Pantry Thanksgiving boxes. We don’t know what we will be assigned yet, but will find out before October. The Social Justice Committee will buy the boxes used for the distribution and our youth will assemble and fill them in November.
4) Please continue to fill our Little Free Food Pantry by bringing non-perishable food items for our Children’s Collection on Sundays.
5) Finally, put Sunday, March 5th at 2:00 pm on your calendar for the Austin CROP Hunger Walk at Camp Mabry.
Please keep your Social Justice ideas coming. We are currently trying to find a meeting time for the team that works with our new small group schedule, so keep an eye out for announcements. Send any thoughts, questions, or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Justice Team Lead