What are Holy Converations?
Appreciative inquiry (AI) is a model that seeks to engage stake-holders in self-determined change, and adapted for congregations, we are calling this process "Holy Conversations." We are seeking to identify the life-giving forces in our congregation and then build upon them for our long-term growth and health, rather than narrowly tackling each of our "problems" one-by-one, which can hamper our morale and improvement. Through conversations and positive methods of inquiry, members generate new ideas and models for how to organize.
What Are the Conversations We're Having?
- History: What is our history and how has it shaped us?
- Identity: What is the unique identity of United Christian Church of Austin today?
- Vision: What is God's call for us in this next chapter?
Why are We Doing this Now?
- Holy Conversations provide the answers to the questions on the congregational profile which is disseminiated to all potential ministerial candidates.
- Your stories will reveal themes and threads that create our reports, and our reports will create an overdue strategic plan and updated identity statments for a congregational vote.
- From the forms you complete during or after your conversations, we will collect a wealth of information that will equip our next minister as s/he is getting to know our community members, our history, our identity, and our vision for the future.
- Our Holy Conversations are meaningful opportunity to build relationships and community.
- Through this process, we create a positive communal narrative which, in turn, creates a self-fulfilling prophecy and thereby,
- A more positive future.
Can Children and Youth Participate?
- Absolutely! The future of our church is particuarly important to our children and youth, so it's vital we give them a voice.
- For pre-writers and emerging writers, click the button below download "Holy Conversations for Littles."
- For children and youth who can write, click the button below to download "Holy Conversations for Children and Youth."
- Make sure this activity is actually a conversation with your child or youth about what matters to them about church!
- Youth may also participate in the adult Holy Conversations if they wish.
- Forms may be printed and returned to the church or scanned and emailed. You can also use your own blank paper or add additional pages!
Now join the conversation...
If you missed out on previous Holy Conversations, you can still participate: